|Address||3173-25, Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city, Kanagawa, 236-0001, Japan|
|Organization||Remote Sensing Technology Center of Japan|
|Address||TOKYU REIT Toranomon Building 2F 3-17-1 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 105-0001, Japan|
|Name||Meteorological Research Institute|
publication : 2016-01-20
Four-dimensional Variational Ocean ReAnalysis for the Western North Pacific (FORA-WNP30) is the first-ever dataset covering the western North Pacific over the last three decades (1982-2014) at eddy-resolving resolution. This is the cooperative work of Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) and Meteorological Research Institude, Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA/MRI) using the Earth Simulator.
FORA-WNP30 was produced by using MRI Multivariate Ocean Variational Estimation system, version of 4-dimensional variational method (MOVE-4DVAR; Usui et al. 2015), the data assimilation system developed by the JMA/MRI. MOVE-4DVAR uses MRI.COM-WNP (Tsujino et al. 2006), eddy-resolving ocean model for Western North Pacific developed by JMA/MRI, as the forward model of ocean and sea ice.
The settings of the assimilation system are as follows:
- Ocean and sea ice model
* Domain: 117°E-160°W, 15°N-65°N
* Horizontal resolution: 1/10° (1/6° east of 160°E) longitude × 1/10° (1/6° north of 50°N) latitude
* Number of vertical levels: 54 levels (0-6300m)
- Assimilation method
* Ocean: 4-dimensional variational method
* Sea ice: objective analysis by minimum variance estimation and nudging
* Assimilation cycle: 3 cycles in a month (day 1 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to the end of month in each month), sea ice is nudeged to the daily analysis.
- Assimilated observation
* In situ temperature and salinity profiles from WOD2013 and GTSPP (0-1500m)
* Gridded SST made by merging satellite and in situ observations (MGDSST; Kurihara et al., 2006 [in Japanese])
* SLA by satellites (TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1/2, ERS-1/2, Envisat, GFO, Cryosat)
* SSM/I sea ice concentration data
- Atmospheric forcing
* daily-mean of JRA-55 (Kobayashi et al., 2015)
- Analysis period
* Jan. 1, 1982 to Dec. 31, 2014
|North bound latitude||65|
|West bound longitude||116.8|
|South bound latitude||14.8|
|Dimension Name||Dimension Size (slice number of the dimension)||Resolution Unit|
|Keyword Type||Keyword||Keyword thesaurus Name|
|theme||[Oceans ] > [Ocean Circulation ] > [Eddies ], [Oceans ] > [Ocean Circulation ] > [Ocean Currents ], [Oceans ] > [Ocean Circulation ] > [Wind-driven Circulation ]||GCMD_science|
|theme||Models > GCM||GCMD_platform|
|Keyword Type||Keyword||Keyword thesaurus Name|
|theme||DIAS > Data Integration and Analysis System||No_Dictionary|
Data Download from the DIAS : https://data.diasjp.net/dl/storages/filelist/dataset:269
1. The dataset is available for free for scientific and educational purposes. If you wish to use the dataset for non-scientific or non-educational purposes, please inform us in advance and follow our instructions.
2. The source of the dataset should be accordingly acknowledged and the article below should also be referred in scientific or technical papers, publications, press releases or other communications regarding the dataset.
Usui et al., 2016, Four-dimensional Variational Ocean Reanalysis: A 30-year high-resolution dataset in the western North Pacific (FORA-WNP30). J. Oceanogr., submitted.
3. Users should provide JAMSTEC/CEIST a copy or URI of their scientific or technical papers, publications, press releases or other communications regarding the dataset.
4. Users are not permitted to redistribute, deliver, or sell the dataset to public.
[Constraints and Disclaimer] 1. The copyright and intellectual property right of the dataset belong to JAMSTEC and JMA/MRI. Please note that although JAMSTEC and JMA/MRI have paid the close attention to produce the dataset, JAMSTEC and JMA/MRI assume no responsibility regarding the reliability of the dataset.
[Constraints and Disclaimer] 2. JAMSTEC and JMA/MRI are not responsible to users for any damage that may be caused by the use of the dataset.
2. The use of DIAS data sets is limited to research and educational purposes [*1]
3. Users shall not modify the content of DIAS data sets
4. Users shall not provide the content of DIAS data sets to third parties
5. In the event of using DIAS data sets in an academic presentation, paper, article, or report, etc., users shall cite in parenthesis the text given as the data citation
6. In the event of using DIAS data sets in an academic presentation, paper, article, or report, etc., users shall submit a copy of the work (an offprint in the case of a paper, or a copy of the lecture summary in the case of an oral or poster presentation) to the DIAS office below
[*1] Data sets whose commercial usage are allowed under the data policy by data provider will be also allowed to be used commercially as DIAS data sets, after ongoing preparation works have been completed. Please contact the DIAS Office for more details.
Remote Sensing Technology Center of Japan
TOKYU REIT Toranomon Building 2F 3-17-1 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 105-0001
1. DIAS data provider is not liable for any losses or any damage when DIAS data sets are used.
2. DIAS data and related information are subject to change without any prior notice.
3. DIAS data sets provided are not supported for any additional processing or analysis.
This study utilized the dataset ‘Four-dimensional Variational Ocean Reanalysis for the western North Pacific’ (FORA-WNP30), which was produced by Japan Agency for Marine-Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) and Meteorological Research Institute of Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA/MRI).
Whenever DIAS dataset is used for any academic presentations, and any publication of scientific results, the author(s) shall specify the following acknowledgement and if the data provider has their own acknowledgement quotation, the author(s) shall use both acknowledgements.
"The DIAS dataset is archived and provided under the framework of the Data Integration and Analysis System (DIAS) funded by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)."
Usui, N., T. Wakamatsu, Y. Tanaka, N. Hirose, T. Toyoda, S. Nishikawa, Y. Fujii, Y. Takatsuki, H. Igarashi, H. Nishikawa, Y. Ishikawa, T. Kuragano and M. Kamachi. Four-dimensional Variational Ocean Reanalysis: A 30-year high-resolution dataset in the western North Pacific (FORA-WNP30).
Journal of Oceanography (submitted).
|Copyright(c) 2006-2018 Data Integration & Analysis System (DIAS) All Rights Reserved.|
|This project is supported by "Data Integration & Analysis System" funded by MEXT, Japan|